Friday, December 24, 2021

Christmas Prayer

 I wrote the following prayer for our family meal tomorrow, Christmas Day.

Our Father in heaven, on this day we celebrate the birth on earth of your Son Jesus, our Savior and Lord.

As we celebrate, may we reflect the joy of Mary who said, “My soul magnifies the Lord, and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior.” And may we sing with the angels, “Glory to God in the highest heaven, and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests” (Luke 2:14).

We praise you for this time together with family (and friends). In a world unsettled by conflict and the Covid pandemic, by division and disease, may we continue to bring adoration to Jesus who said, “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid” (John 14:27).

As recipients of this peace, may we also be exuberant with the joy of Jesus, who said, “These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full” (John 15:11).

On this Christmas day, we give thanks for your gifts of joy and peace to us: joy and peace in our homes and families, joy and peace in our work and leisure, joy and peace in our learning and living, joy and peace in our hearts and minds, and joy and peace even in our sorrows and struggles. May this joy and peace continue beyond this Christmas day and into the New Year.

We pray this in the name of Jesus, our Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, and Prince of Peace. Amen.





No comments:

Post a Comment