Thursday, December 2, 2021

Citizenship

Are you smarter than a new citizen?

Do you remember the game show, “Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader?” Let us play a variation of the game. We can call it, “Are You Smarter Than a New Citizen?”

I am thinking of this topic because Marlene and I have been volunteering with a U.S. citizenship class. The class helps participants to understand the requirements for citizenship and to prepare the necessary documentation. Many of these individuals lack formal schooling, and English is not their first language. To become a U.S. citizen, they are required to demonstrate knowledge about United States history and government and geography, understand commitment to the ideals of the U.S. Constitution, and be willing to swear an oath of allegiance to the United States. It is easy to take for granted many of the things required for becoming a United States citizen. Here are some of the essentials.


First, they need to complete an “Application for Naturalization” (Form N-400). This form asks for proof of being a lawful permanent resident for at least 5 years (for most); marriage and birth certificates; driving record, including information about traffic tickets, arrest and sentencing information; selective service number (men only); information about travel outside of the U.S. since becoming a permanent resident (green card); and tax forms for the past 5 years. Second, in addition to the N-400 form, applicants need to demonstrate the ability to write in English (writing a dictated sentence); read in English (a list of words and short sentences); and have a knowledge of U.S. government and history and geography (orally answering questions correctly from a manual of 100 study questions).

Test your own knowledge of U.S. history and civics by responding to these 10 sample questions. Answers are at the end of this post.

1.      What is the supreme law of the land?

2.      The idea of self-government is in the first three words of the Constitution. What are these words?

3.      What do we call the first ten amendments to the Constitution?

4.      What are two (of the three) rights in the Declaration of Independence?

5.      How many U.S. Senators are there?

6.      The House of Representatives has how many voting members?

7.      If both the President and the Vice President can no longer serve, who becomes President?

8.      Who wrote the Declaration of Independence?

9.      When was the Declaration of Independence adopted?

10.   When was the Constitution written?

As I was assisting someone in the class, I asked, “What is your timetable for completing your application?” He said, “I don’t know.” To which I responded, “When do you think that you might know?” He said, “Well, I have to think more about if I am ready to renounce allegiance to my home country.” I told him that I respected him for taking so seriously the oath of allegiance that must be sworn to in order to become a U.S.  citizen. I wonder how many of us realize the depth of commitment that is required of new citizens. Following is the oath that is administered by a judge.

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the Armed Forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

Becoming a United States citizen is one of the few experiences that asks for a major life-commitment. Similar commitments are made in only a few other places, such as being inducted into the military, public office, or an officer in the judicial system. However, from a spiritual perspective, those who are Christians have aligned themselves with Jesus and his disciples, making an even bigger commitment. The Bible refers to these individuals as citizens of heaven.

Believers have a heavenly citizenship, a deep allegiance to a spiritual kingdom. Two Bible passages even use the word “citizenship.” “But our citizenship is in heaven, and from it we await a Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ” (Philippians 3:20). “So then you are no longer strangers and aliens, but you are fellow citizens with the saints and members of the household of God” (Ephesians 2:19).

Other passages are consistent with the concept of citizenship. “For here we do not have a lasting city, but we are seeking the city which is to come” (Hebrews 13:14). “…just as My Father has granted Me a kingdom, I grant you that you may eat and drink at My table in My kingdom…” (Luke 22:29). “…to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you” (1 Peter 1:4). In a sense, believers have a dual citizenship, one earthly and the other heavenly.

I have described requirements for earthly citizenship in the United States, What about the requirements for being a citizen of heaven? 

One normal manifestation of those who are heavenly citizens is that they are members of a local church. (Although it is certainly possible to be a citizen of heaven without being a member of a local congregation as we currently and formally define church membership). I understand the church to be a community of believers who have been saved through faith in Christ and have made commitments to God and one another. As a result, they are a group of people with a spiritual, heavenly citizenship.

Since we have asked the question earlier, “Are you smarter than a new citizen (of the United States?),” I wonder if we dare ask one another, “Are you smarter than a new member of a local church (e.g., someone who has recently become a member of a local church by making profession of faith)”?

In the churches of my Reformed tradition, there are two documents that I think of as somewhat parallel to the questions and oaths used for United States citizenship. These are the Heidelberg Catechism and questions that are asked of new members who are joining the church by making profession of faith.

The Heidelberg Catechism (1563) has fifty-two main sections (called Lord’s Days) that contain 129 questions and answers. Following are ten sample questions. Answers are at the end of this post.

1. What is your only comfort in life and in death?


2. What must you know to live and die in the joy of this comfort?

3. What is true faith?

4. Why are you called a Christian?

5. How does Christ’s resurrection benefit us?

6. What do you believe concerning “the Holy Spirit”? 

7. What do you understand by “the communion of saints”? 

8. What are sacraments? 

9. What is involved in genuine repentance or conversion?

10. What are good works?

Those who are becoming members of a local church are also asked to make commitments. While these are not referred to as an oath, they do ask individuals to identify their desire to adhere to specific beliefs and behaviors. Here is part of the “Profession of Faith” liturgy.

Do you believe in one God: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; and do you confess Jesus Christ as your Savior and Lord?


Do you accept the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments as the only rule for faith and life?


Do you, relying on the grace of God, promise to confess Christ publicly before others, to serve Christ daily, and to walk in Jesus’ way?


Do you promise to exhibit the joy of new life in Christ; to share fully in the life of the church; to be faithful in worship and service; and to offer your prayers and gifts?


Do you promise to accept the spiritual guidance of the church; to walk in a spirit of Christian love with this congregation; and to seek those things which make for unity, purity, and peace?

This post has been a reflection on citizenship, both in this world and the next. Each type of citizenship requires a major life commitment. There are only a few situations where I (and perhaps you) have taken on such responsibilities. I think of these situations as issues for which I am willing to lay down my life, or as someone might say, “For which I would take a bullet.” For me there are three areas: faith, family, and country. Each of these requires its own sacrifices, as well as having its unique blessings. Each is lived out best by continuing to learn and mature through understanding, service, and celebration. I am blessed to have found joy in this journey. How about you?

Answers to U.S. citizenship questions.

1.      The Constitution

2.      We the People

3.      The Bill of Rights

4.      Life ▪ liberty ▪ pursuit of happiness

5.      One hundred (100) Two from each state.

6.      Four hundred thirty-five (435) Number is based on the population of each state.

7.      The Speaker of the House

8.      (Thomas) Jefferson

9.      July 4, 1776

10.   1787 

Answers to Heidelberg Catechism questions.

1. That I am not my own, but belong—body and soul, in life and in death—to my faithful Savior, Jesus Christ.
He has fully paid for all my sins with his precious blood, and has set me free from the tyranny of the devil. He also watches over me in such a way that not a hair can fall from my head without the will of my Father in heaven; in fact, all things must work together for my salvation.
Because I belong to him, Christ, by his Holy Spirit, assures me of eternal life and makes me wholeheartedly willing and ready from now on to live for him.

2. Three things: first, how great my sin and misery are; second, how I am set free from all my sins and misery; third, how I am to thank God for such deliverance.

3. True faith is not only a sure knowledge by which I hold as true all that God has revealed to us in Scripture; it is also a wholehearted trust, which the Holy Spirit creates in me by the gospel, that God has freely granted, not only to others but to me also, forgiveness of sins, eternal righteousness, and salvation. These are gifts of sheer grace, granted solely by Christ’s merit.

4. Because by faith I am a member of Christ and so I share in his anointing. I am anointed to confess his name, to present myself to him as a living sacrifice of thanks, to strive with a free conscience against sin and the devil in this life, and afterward to reign with Christ over all creation for eternity.

5. First, by his resurrection he has overcome death, so that he might make us share in the righteousness he obtained for us by his death. Second, by his power we too are already raised to a new life. Third, Christ’s resurrection is a sure pledge to us of our blessed resurrection.

6. First, that the Spirit, with the Father and the Son, is eternal God. Second, that the Spirit is given also to me, so that, through true faith, he makes me share in Christ and all his benefits through true faith, comforts me, and will remain with me forever.

7. First, that believers one and all, as members of this community, share in Christ and in all his treasures and gifts. Second, that each member should consider it a duty to use these gifts readily and joyfully for the service and enrichment of the other members.

8. Sacraments are visible, holy signs and seals. They were instituted by God so that by our use of them he might make us understand more clearly the promise of the gospel, and seal that promise. And this is God’s gospel promise: to grant us forgiveness of sins and eternal life by grace because of Christ’s one sacrifice accomplished on the cross.

9. Two things: the dying-away of the old self, and the rising-to-life of the new.

10. Only those which are done out of true faith, conform to God’s law, and are done for God’s glory; and not those based on our own opinion or human tradition.


No comments:

Post a Comment