Friday, April 17, 2015

Cancer Center Visit

We would never have anticipated that our first trip to Ann Arhor, Michigan would be for appointments at the University of Michigan Cancer Center. But, that was our journey yesterday, Thursday, April 17. Marlene’s sister and her husband, Jerry and Diane Antoon, provided wonderful support by joining us.

Our consultations were with Surgical Oncologist, Dr. Hari Nathan, and Medical Oncologist, Dr. Christine Veenstra. We were richly encouraged by these gifted physicians, their staffs, and the entire culture of the Cancer Center.

Their recommendations are consistent with those of our current Oncologist, Dr. Eric Batts. However they are suggesting a few modifications that make sense to us. As a result of the appointments, Marlene and I have a better understanding of the current situation and the proposed future direction. The doctors spoke positively about the probability of being “cancer free” as a result of a planned liver surgery and continued chemotherapy.

Many thanks for your continued prayer during coming chemotherapy treatments and for future liver surgery. On Monday I receive my second round of chemo. At that time, we will also meet with Dr. Batts to make decisions about the recommendations from Drs. Nathan and Veenstra.

Marlene and I live on a little lake and have a small sandy beach. Yesterday the landscapers added fresh sand to the beach. This morning I went outside in bare feet and made footprints in the sand while reflecting on the following story.

Footprints in the Sand
One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
Sometimes there were two sets of footprints, other times there were one set of footprints.

This bothered me because I noticed that during the low periods of my life, when I was suffering from anguish, sorrow or defeat, I could see only one set of footprints.

So I said to the Lord, "You promised me Lord,
that if I followed you, you would walk with me always.
But I have noticed that during the most trying periods of my life there have only been one set of footprints in the sand.
Why, when I needed you most, you have not been there for me?"

The Lord replied, "The times when you have seen only one set of footprints, is when I carried you."

Mary Stevenson


2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Burt, for the update. Very thankful to hear the probable "cancer free" scenario! We'll continue to pray for healing, wisdom, patience, and peace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you had a positive meeting with your second opinion doctors. We are constant in our prayers for you and Marlene and thankful for your updates.

    ReplyDelete