Sunday, October 10, 2021

Nutty as a Fruitcake

 A pastor once said to me, “I’m not taking any of those personality tests. I’m afraid that they would find that I’m as nutty as a fruitcake.” And, when I was coordinating a church-based seminary extension program in Boca Raton, Florida; the Director of the Counseling Center and I had a weekly lunch meeting. He always liked it when I would come to the waiting room of the Counseling Center to meet him. He wanted clients to see a church staff member in his facility.

Even though these experiences took place some years ago, they illustrate what is still a prevailing reluctance by many to talk about mental health.

Marlene and I attended a class on mental health this past Sunday at Fellowship Reformed Church. The attendance was smaller than it should have been, and I was the only male in the room. It is unfortunate that so many missed this helpful session. Maybe the fear of being thought of “as nutty as a fruitcake” remains. Now, for those who are brave enough to read on, following is a summary of some of the main concepts that I appreciated from the class.

Exercise: People who exercise regularly tend to be more resistant to many mental illness-related challenges including depression, anxiety, substance abuse, bulimia, Alzheimer’s, sleep difficulties, stress, low energy, and self-esteem. A beginning exercise plan of walking as little as 30 minutes 3 times a week can make a difference.

Sleep: Set a regular schedule; avoid caffeine, alcohol, and nicotine; avoid too much napping; exercise regularly; and avoid big meals for two hours before bedtime.

Boundaries: Establish personal boundaries. Types of boundaries that each of us should set and protect include the following:

--physical: personal space and touch

--intellectual: thoughts and ideas

--emotional: feelings and emotions

--sexual: touch, comments, mutual respect

--material: money and possessions

--time: amount of time spent in work, relationships, hobbies, etc.

Several Bible passages were also shared including these:

Psalm 34:8,Taste and see that the Lord is good; blessed is the one who takes refuge in him.”

Psalm 139:14, “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made.”

Luke 10:25-37, Parable of the Good Samaritan.

Reflecting on the above class notes, I think that we tend to be more careful about our physical health than our mental health. However, the two are connected and may vary from person to person. Let us find ways to, as Lester Holt says when closing the NBC nightly news, “Take care of yourself and each other.” Please contact me if you would like handout sheets on any of the above topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment